According to the National Geographic list of the top 10 bookstores in the world published in the book Destinations of a Lifetime, Atlantis Books in Santorini is the best bookstore in the world.
You will find it on the island, in Oia, into the side of a cliff , situated below street level, making it feel like you’re descending into a secret literature stoa. Atlantis Books was opened in 2004 by expats from the US, England, and Cyprus, who fell in love with Santorini and decided to stay.
“We found an empty building facing the sunset, drank some whiskey and signed a lease. We found a dog and cat, opened a bank account, applied for a business license, found some friends, built the shelves, landed a boat on the terrace and filled the place with books.” , their website writes.
The store has hosted readings on the terrace, bookbinding classes, and food and film festivals, National Geographic notes
Following Atlantis bookstore, in the list of 10 bookstores you should visit in your lifetime, come
- Cafebrería el Péndulo, Mexico City, Mexico
- Munro’s Books, Victoria, Canada
- El Ateneo Grand Splendid, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Powell’s City of Books, Portland, Oregon
- Prairie Lights, Iowa City, Iowa
- Shakespeare and Company, Paris, France
- Gertrude & Alice, Sydney, Australia
- Librairie Avant-Garde, Nanjing, China
- Cook & Book, Brussels, Belgium